HJDS Travel Group

What You Will Should Get A US Passport Application

by on Apr.04, 2011, under Travel

  • Sumo

Traveling outside of the United States and its territories will require a passport. The passport application process is a straightforward process but it will require some time. Documents will have to be provided and the application will have to be done in person at a government office.

The first time a person applies for a this document, it will require to do it in person, but not for a replacement pass port. There are acceptance facilities, which are chosen by the Bureau of Consular Affairs. The sites will be in government offices. Post offices, libraries, and clerks of court are commonly used for this purpose. An online search will give you locations, days and hours and if an appointment is needed.

Children of any age can apply. However, any child under the age of sixteen will need to have both parents present when they apply. If the child is age sixteen or seventeen, and does not have valid picture identification (ID), a parent or guardian must produce a photo identification of the child.

The agency allows five kinds of documents to serve as primary ID. Naturalized citizens can present the certificate of naturalization. A driver’s license that is current is acceptable and a military or government employee ID is valid. If you don’t have any of these, you will have show several forms of ID to prove you are who you say you are.

The form used to apply is a DS-11, which originates from the Department of State. This can be found and filled out online or it can be printed and filled out by hand. Do not sign this form until you are told to do so at the appropriate office. You must submit this form in person.

If you have an old U. S. Passport that is in decent condition, it can be submitted for proof of citizenship. Alternatively, you will have to show a certified birth certificate from the state in which you were born. If you don’t have one, you can request one from your birth state. It must be dated no more than a year past your birth date and be signed and stamped by the registrar.

The IDs that you show the clerk will have to have a copy to submit with the DS-11. Scan the pieces and print out on the usual eight and half inch by eleven-inch white paper. Do not put anything else on the sheet. The images can be larger than the original but do not make it smaller. The copy is only to be on one side of the paper. You can submit more than one page if needed.

Fees will be collected when you apply. Money orders (bank drafts, international, currency exchanges, and U. S Postal), checks (personal cashiers, travelers, and certified), and credit or debit cards are all acceptable forms of payment. Exact cash is accepted at some locations but this should be verified before the appointment. Some acceptance facilities will require the execution fee to be paid separately from the application fee.

The photo used on the document will have to be presented by you. Some offices will have photo services available. There are also businesses that will provide this service and make sure your meet the requirements. The pictures are to be two inches square, color, and look like you on any normal day.

The items you need to make sure you can easily get through a US passport application process may take some time. It will take about a month to a month and a half to get the document but express services are available, even for a replacement passport.

Related Blogs

Be Sociable, Share!
:, , , , , , , , , ,

Comments are closed.

Behind HJDS Travel Group Blog

My name is Harry Delgado and I am a full time Internet and Small Business developer and marketer. Over 30 years in the Computer systems development, programming, hardware installations and support. Currently making a living from blogs like HJDS Computer Services , HJDS Investment Group and HJDS BlogBiz. You can connect with me via social media sites at Facebook - LinkedIn - Twitter - YouTube.