HJDS Travel Group

Tag: kids passport

Child’s Passport: Request One Before You Really Need It

by on Jun.30, 2010, under Travel

If you have a child for whom you need to acquire a minors passport, it is important to know what the regulations are regarding this. Children of any age, even newborns, must have their own passports. In addition, for children of the age 16 and 17, there are additional requirements.

Children under the age of 16 must apply for their passports in person, accompanied by both of their parents/guardians. Proof of U.S. Citizenship must be supplied and will be returned. Acceptable proof includes a previous and undamaged U.S. Passport, official proof of birth or citizenship in the U.S. A social security number must also be provided.

The accompanying parents or guardians need to prove the relationship they have to the child applicant. This proof may be in the form of a foreign or U.S. birth certificate, a decree of adoption, or a court order that establishes guardianship or custody.

If any furnished documents are in another language, they must be translated. It can be formally or informally translated. Both original and English translation must be submitted with the passport application.

Previous U.S. passports cannot be used as proof that parent and child are related. If one of the parents or guardians has had a name change since original documents were issued, proof of that legal name change must also be provided. An example of proof for a name change would be a certificate of marriage. Both parents or guardians must also show valid identification such as: a U.S. passport that is undamaged, a naturalization certificate, a government or military ID, or a driver’s license.

For a minor below the age of 16 to get a passport, both parents must consent. Therefore, both must appear with the minor at the time of application. If both cannot appear, one must appear and sign the form in front of an agent while submitting the other parent’s Statement of Consent which has been notarized. Note that this must be consent form must be dated within the last three months.

If only one parent has complete custody, this parent must appear with the minor and sign in front of an agent. This parent must then show proof of being sole authority over the child. Such proof can be the birth certificate, consular report of birth abroad or certificate of birth abroad showing only the one parent’s name. Other proof can be a court order, an adoption decree, an incompetence declaration of the other parent or a death certificate of the other parent.

If need be, a third person may make the application for the child’s passport. Said person needs to appear with a statement from both of the parents or the guardians, which must be notarized. In the case of sole custody, proof should be supplied, as well.

It is a smart idea to apply for the passport for a child before you really need it, as is the case with all American passports.

Related Blogs

Leave a Comment :, , , , , , , , , , , , more...

Kids’ United States Passports: Their Ticket To The World

by on Jun.27, 2010, under Travel

Showing your children the world makes traveling a fun and educational sort of experience. If you want to take your children abroad, he or she will need a passport. Tons of questions surround children’s passport, and the answers can leave you feeling much more at ease when traveling overseas with your children.

Everyone from infants to seniors require a passport, and even the youngest child is no exception. For children under the age of 16, a passport is only valid for five years. However, once you get past this age, it becomes valid for ten years. Damaged passports need to be renewed as well. If you simply need more pages in your passport, a passport agency can add more without having to completely replace your passport.

In February of 2008, the rules regarding children’s passports were tweaked a little. Since this law came into effect, both legal guardians or parents of the minor have to give consent in order to apply for a passport. When applying for a child between 16 and 18, this consent is not technically required, but it may be requested in special cases. If the child is under the age of 18, he or she will need to be present in person in front of the acceptance agent, or the AA. Both parents will also need to present valid forms of ID.

In order to successfully apply for your minor child, you will need to have proof of their US citizenship. This can be done with a previously issued passport that is not damaged, a naturalization certificate, a certified birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth, or a certificate of citizenship. With this done, you will then need to prove your relationship to the child. This can be done with a certified birth certificate with both parents’ names, an adoption decree, or a court order mandating guardianship or custody. A birth certificate can be from another country, as long as you have another source of proof for citizenship. The parents or guardians will then have to prove their identity. Previously issued passports, valid driver’s licenses, military or government employee ID, or naturalization certificates are acceptable forms of identification. After this is done and photocopies are made for the records, parents would then give their consent, pay for the passport application forms, and submit two identical passport photos. This completes the process.

Sometimes, babies are born overseas. If you and your spouse are United States citizens and your child is born outside of the United States, you will need to contact the native United States embassy or consulate in order to report the birth. A document granting valid American citizenship, the Consular Report of Birth of a Citizen of the United States of America, will be issued.

Just knowing how to obtain a passports for minors makes preparing for trips that much easier. And with all the great destinations out there for you and your family to visit, your U.S. passport is truly a key to the world.

Related Blogs

Leave a Comment :, , , , , , , , , , , , , , more...

Behind HJDS Travel Group Blog

My name is Harry Delgado and I am a full time Internet and Small Business developer and marketer. Over 30 years in the Computer systems development, programming, hardware installations and support. Currently making a living from blogs like HJDS Computer Services , HJDS Investment Group and HJDS BlogBiz. You can connect with me via social media sites at Facebook - LinkedIn - Twitter - YouTube.