Northallerton – North Yorkshire retains its place as a busy market town today, but at its very roots is an historic town with ancient connections beyond traditions of commerce. Saxons first settled here, then Romans may have used Northallerton as a signal station. King Charles I sought shelter in the city during the seventeenth century. Across the centuries Northallerton has seen war and grieving as a thoroughfare from south to north. Today, find modern pleasures amid reminders of historic people and important times.
Places such as Kiplin Hall take visitors back a four hundred years to Jacobean influences. View collections of paintings and furniture from across the centuries or take part in family activities established to bring history to life for younger visitors. Push back further in time to a fourteenth century Carthusian priory, Grace Priory, or even further: almost 900 years to a former residence of Richard III, Middleham Castle. Richmond Castle represents the best in Norman fortification: you are close to this busy sight complete with exhibitions and activities for curious tourists.
Tourists interested in sacred or monastic history might stop at Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal. Examine the largest Cistercian ruins in Europe. Wander through landscaped gardens to admire bird life and fountains or stop in at the Victorian church for contrast between ancient and more recent approaches to architecture.
Lovers of literature may want to stop in at The World of James Herriot. This long-time vet, whose real name was Alf Wight, wrote about veterinary life in the middle part of the twentieth century. Explore the spot that inspired many much-loved books which even spawned a series of films.
Animals play an important role in this town and surrounding areas. Cattle were once sold in the High Street. Today, young visitors can stop at Monk Park Animal Centre to view rare and modern breeds of farm animals. Cuddle lambs, goats and rabbits. The Big Sheep and Little Cow Farm affords opportunities to feed piglets or take a pony ride.
You have entered an active community which takes part in cricket, hockey, football and more. Visitors can watch or take part, depending on the sport. Arrange for horseback riding or angling. On a fine day, try golfing at one of several courses.
Choose from numerous hotels in Northallerton, or try something different. Guest houses and inns welcome visitors, while some tourists like to go it alone with self-catering cottages. Take a rougher approach, staying in your caravan at an approved site or even camping-out like an ancient soldier. One difference will be the several restaurants serving Chinese, Indian and traditional cream teas, not to mention several pubs the Romans never had the benefit of.
The visitors to Ashbourne – Derbyshire will find a small market town with exciting tourist spots that include mountains and green valleys in the Peak district. The town consists of medieval patterns on the streets with quality shops inside historic buildings. The Royal Shrovetide football match is a tradition that is held annually over a period of two days.
The football match is called Royal because the Prince of Wales attended the game centuries ago and later became King Edward of England. Prince Charles of England also attended the game and tossed out the first ball at the start of the games.
Thousands of players compete in the event which is held on Shrove Tuesday and Ash Wednesday. The countryside is the field and the goals are several miles apart. The ball used is bigger than a football and is filled with cork so that the ball will float during the match when played through rivers.
The English town is very picturesque and usually quiet during the most of the year. Visitors can also enjoy a cycling and walking trail known as the Tissington Trail that runs where the railway station of Ashbourne once operated. The railway was closed to passengers forty years ago.
The Ashbourne club facility has incredible views overlooking the greens. The town also has a football and golf club. A highland gathering which takes place in the summer includes a pipe band competition, stalls, and hill racing. The whole family can enjoy all that the town has to offer.
The quaint market town is a great place to unwind and relax with many different cafes and eateries that offer tasty cuisines. The shopping choices are numerous and great for finding souvenirs and gifts. The accommodations are plentiful for lodging in charming stone cottages while visiting and country pubs can be found that offer evening meals. The bed and breakfast lodging facilities can include breakfast, and a market is offered in the Old Square in town twice a week.
The visitors to Ashbourne – Derbyshire can find restaurant menus that offer local fresh produce. The visitors can also purchase the produce and the other variety of products for sale in the market place. Many types of lodging can be found in the scenic Peak District of Ashbourne in the centuries old manor farmhouses that are working farms. The area shopping is only minutes away and stable accommodations can be made for a guests horses if they want to go riding in the countryside. A visit to this lovely town will not soon be forgotten by many of the folks who come here.
categories: travel,travel and leisure
- Twilight Lexicon » Nordstom rolls out Eclipse fashion, cast member …
- Digital Society » Blog Archive » Let's try to be fair to Ballmer
- Online Fashion Merchandising Courses-A Convenient Path to a …
- How to Get Started Investing in Stock Market | Stock Market News
- Retail sector » Blog Archive » International Trade in Global …
- Mad Hattery! » Blog Archive » Hattery News: Royal Wedding Guest …
- Medieval Costumes For Halloween | Fashion Looks
- Medieval Costume – When Gentlemen Became Women | Fashion Looks
- Medieval 1.1.0 iPhone iPad and iPod touch | ~ Deals & Discounts …
- “Drunk parrots litter Australian town” « Don Surber
- Match Review & Highlights: Nigeria 1-2 Greece – World Cup Blog
- Match Review & Highlights: Argentina 4 – South Korea 1 – World Cup …
- Match Review & Highlights: France 0-2 Mexico – World Cup Blog
- Forex Trade Journal: Forex Lessons To Be Learned
- Asia Cup 2010: India vs. Pakistan Match Preview | Top Feeds News
- Giant sculpture made out of 3000 balls for the World Cup » This …
- New Breast Cancer Support Project At Royal Melbourne Hospital …
- Offerpal's In-Game Promotions Increase Developers Offer Revenue By 3X
- SLAM ONLINE | » Wolves, Warriors Discussing Randolph Trade
- Residential Real Estate: A Buyer's Market | The Big Picture
Horsham. West Sussex is an amazing place to visit and live. It has a beauty that cannot be described adequately with words. To truly enjoy its beauty and historical significance, you must come and see it for yourself.
Horsham has found the ideal combination of past with present. Many buildings display beautiful architecture of past generations. They keep this history, while still moving steadily into the future. They are proof that keeping your history in the forefront does not mean you cannot still be modern and prosperous.
Horsham is an amazing market town about 31 miles from London. It is only a few miles from the English Channel and the river Arun flows close by. It has some of the best shopping available anywhere. While shopping, do not forget to look at the architectural beauty of the shops you are entering.
Should you need a break from the shopping, you have many choices for relaxation. You can enjoy looking at the many beautiful landscapes all around. You can take a drive to enjoy the countryside, or you might want to walk some of the footpaths available for you to see the beauty in a more personal way.
If you are looking for a place to enjoy the natural beauty and entertain your whole family, visit Horsham Park. They have a pond that attracts a lot of wildlife. Children also enjoy taking a turn at the maze developed just for them. The whole family can play tennis or swim and relax at the swimming complex located here. You may be there when they are offering free concerts. Or perhaps, you would like to have a relaxing family picnic.
To become enlightened on the local history, visit the Horsham Museum. It is in a half timbered medieval house. The house, along with the collections inside, can give you an insight into the local history and culture,
If you are a lover of wildlife, you have found your place. They are home to the Warnum Local Nature Reserve. It has a 17 acre millpond. It is not only a great bird habitat, but also home to a large number of dragonfly species.
If you want to observe even more natural beauty and wildlife, go to St. Leonards Forest. You will see a breathtaking display of the best nature has to offer. Park House Garden is an excellent place to visit, as well. It has wider paths so that it is more accessible to those visitors with disabilities. You will find beautifully fragrant flowers and plants of many varieties.
For the one who loves the arts, take a visit to the art center. Here you will find art exhibits, wonderful music, and drama. You may be surprised at the quality of art you will find here.
Horsham, West Sussex is an amazing place to visit. You can golf, play tennis, swim, walk, and shop. You can do all this in a beautifully historic area. You may decide that you want your visit to go on and on and on!
categories: travel,travel and leisure
- download free games : The Family Reunion Survival Guide: How To …
- Craft Projects Gone Wrong, Budget Beauty Creme and Lauren Conrad's …
- Wildlife PIC that BP Doesn't Want You TO See – Jack & Jill Politics
- FAIR Blog » Blog Archive » NYT Corrects Its Gaza History
- Safety Mineral Cosmetics for Your Natural Beauty | Ecole-Idiomas.com
- FarmVille Japanese Decorations: Hot Springs, Koi Fish Pond II …
- Immodest Proposal: Architecture of Pattern Interruption | 360 …
- 7 Surprising Keys to Family Happiness
- The World Cup Ball History In Photos – World Cup Blog
- Fresh New Looks Inspired By Nature on UK Home Ideas
- Sharksworld » Blog Archive » Shopping-guide for Dummies
- Church costs for Pope's visit 'out of control' – from Pink News …
- Kim Kardashian's Family is Top Priority | OK! Magazine – The First …
- News From Across The Pond: Fab New Pics Of Kristen Stewart And …
- NIOGAS UNVEILS MISS OIL & GAS BEAUTY PAGEANT | NIGERIA GENERAL …
- In The Family Way Needs a Few More Contributors | NewsReal Blog
- Lebanon: Town Finalizes 2010 Road Plan | Madison County Courier …
- Spending Time Outside in Nature Makes People Feel More Alive …
- Beauty Tips – True True beauty case beauty case Hair Styling …
- Spring Pond Care & Transition